Effort & Time vs Cost
When considering hiring a snow removal service, you should review the positives and the negatives. Depending on your budget, cost may be the largest factor as to why you have not considered hiring a service in the past. But cost does is not always calculated in dollars:
- If it takes you an hour or longer to shovel your driveway and walkway, consider how this affects you. If it’s a work day, you’ll have to wake up earlier to shovel your car out and lose precious sleep.
- Depending on how much snow has fallen, it may take you longer than expected to get your driveway clear. This can mean arriving late to work or not making it in at all. Some jobs are flexible, but if yours isn’t, deductions may come out of your pay check. Is that a cost you have accounted for?
- Shoveling is strenuous, and not recommended for seniors or anyone with health issues. Year after year, we here of community members having a stroke or falling gravely ill while or after battling the snow on their own property. OHIP will cover the doctors visit but is the associated medication factored into your budget too?
Hiring a contractor saves you time and spares your health. It also eliminates the need to shovel again in the evening when you return home from a long day at work.
If you are worried about the dependability of a certain snow removal company, there are many ways to do your homework before signing a contract.
- You should always review any contracts or agreements presented by the snow removal company. Some contracts may state that a truck will come by after 3 cm of snow and others after 5 cm. Knowing this information can help you determine whether the company can meet your needs.
Snow removal contractors have to have multiple clients to pay their own bills. Many people don’t consider the price associated with such a business. Examples: Fuel, maintenance, insurance, equipment, employee wages etc. Some companies, in effort to meet their bills and make a profit will take on too many properties and too far away from each other. This type of business structure could mean that even if your contractor is on the road right when the snow hits to start their route, it may take them many hours before they get to your home. A good snow removal contractor will keep his customers local to him, and will do his best to accommodate each client. Don’t be afraid to discuss the following with them:
- Do they have clients an (during a snow storm) equivalent to an hour or more away from your home? If they do, you can expect that they will have difficulty reaching your property on a timely basis.
- Snow removal contractors create a route list, that is consistent in which properties they visit first to last for the duration of the winter season. If you feel you have legitimate reason for having your property at the top of their list, be sure to communicate that to them. A good contractor will not have properties all over Ontario, and they will be willing to accommodate your needs as best as possible.
- Find out all the best contact information. Usually the office for the contractor is best, as the contractor will be on the road driving and plowing and may not have the ability to talk to you. His/her office staff will be able to keep you up to date as to what the current situation is, where the contractor is in proximity to your property and all other information. Snow removal contractors have a crazy habit of watching The Weather Network CONSTANTLY, if you can’t be bothered, contact his office to see what the weather looks like for the week!
A little bit of research before you sign a contract means you’ll always get the service you want. A reputable snow removal contractor will usually stipulate by what time you can expect your driveway to be cleared following a snowfall. BUT remember, no one is in control of Mother Nature or traffic. Understand that during heavier than normal snow falls, and at particular times in the day, your contractor, despite best efforts, may have difficulty reaching you when you need him, but rest assured he/she is on their way.
If you’re afraid of half-completed jobs, snow piled in front of your mailbox or tire tracks in your front lawn, these are all common concerns you can address with one simple conversation with your potential snow removal provider.
Reliable businesses will be happy to answer all of your questions, and make sure that their level of service is up to your personal expectations. Remember, communication is the best tool. Tell them what you need, and how you want it done, they should obliged.
Retire The Shovel
Some homeowners or apartment residents are lucky enough to have snow removal taken care of without having to look for a contractor, but for the rest of us, all it takes is a quick search for your LOCAL company or by asking around. The benefits of convenient and affordable snow removal can be immediate, and you’d be surprised how wonderful it feels to look out of your window at the snow falling down, knowing that your shovel has been retired indefinitely.
Timbers Snow Removal Pricing – Winter 2015/2016
Snow Removal – Driveway Only
Snow Removal – Driveway & Walkway
Single + Walkway – $500.00/season
Double + Walkway – $550.00/season
*Please be reminded that as we are aware that residential property sizes and requirements are each unique, the prices are negotiable and can be customized to suit your needs. Please don’t hesitate to email email@example.com with any questions or service requirements, so we can prepare a price especially for you.
Timbers Property Maintenance & Snow Removal offers lawn care, gardening, general property maintenance and snow removal services. We are an authentically family owned-and-operated business local to the North York and Northern Toronto area with over 15 years experience in the industry. Our qualified, specialist yet familial approach to yard maintenance and snow removal, serving only our local community, ensures a personalized and affordable experience for both large and small residences, as well as commercial properties.
If you prefer your property maintenance professionals to take on a local and compassionate approach to the needs of your home, please contact us at your convenience by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, calling (416) 827 – 8730 or filling out our online contact form. We’re always here for you.
3 thoughts on “Why Hire A Snow Removal Service”
I have to agree that sometimes removing snow can be a pain. It always takes me a lot longer to shovel my driveway then I would like. Because of that, I think I would hire a snow removal company to do the heavy work.
I agree with what you said that hiring a snowplow service helps you save time and save your energy since shoveling your entire driveway is a long, strenuous process. My dad has been shoveling our driveway for years now because he refuses to hire a service. But now that he’s getting old and weary, I’ll convince my mom to let me pay for a snowplow service when winter comes. Thanks for this!
It’s good to know from this article that a good contractor can accommodate all of our requests as a property owner. We recently moved into a property and seeing how its curb was designed into the sidewalk made us realize that it will take a lot of effort from us to remove snow from it and make it easier for our vehicle to pass through. It might be a good idea to look for companies that provide snow removal services on a regular basis to ensure that no accidents will happen within our property.